Cover Song Guideline Changes

Re: Cover Song Guideline Changes

Posted 6 Jul 2015, 17:21:32

Did you write the full name of the original band or did you used the code? Whenever i assign songs, i always try to find another interpretation of the same song and copy-paste it.

Posted 6 Jul 2015, 20:42:49

What baffles me is that I did all of them the same way and the only one it took was 'Season of the Witch'. The only thing I can think of for the one song is maybe it needed to be '(Aquarius) Let the Sunshine in' and I didn't put in Aquarius. Sorry about causing all the work for a setlist for an artist that most people have never even heard of that is probably only of interest to me.

Posted 9 Sep 2015, 23:56:41

Jackson Browne's song 'These Days' was first released by Nico, but Jackson then released the song on his own album very soon after. Wouldn't this thus qualify as an exception under the new rules, and that it should no longer be qualified as a cover?

Yes, that would be a Jackson Browne song. He wrote it and released it. Sometimes it helps if you include a link in the comment field so people know why the edit is being made.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/These_Days_%28Jackson_Browne_song%29

Last edited 10 Sep 2015, 13:07:19

Posted 13 Oct 2015, 17:16:28

Hi there,
I think all this cover stuff is quite unimportant, but nevertheless I've got a question:
The Guideline says: “Songs are credited to the group or performing artist who originally wrote the song. E.g. John Lennon and Paul McCartney wrote “A Day in the Life”, while in The Beatles. So the song would be credited as A Day in the Life @Cover[The Beatles].”
In Simon and Garfunkel setlists, the song “The Sound of Silence” is named as a “Paul Simon song” with the following remark: “Released on Simon's “recalled” 1965 album.” But the song was first published by Simon and Garfunkel on the “Wednesday Morning 3 a.m.” album in October 1964 (recorded March 1964) and according to Wikipedia Simon & Garfunkel's first breakup was 1965. So as the song was written and published during the Simon & Garfunkel years, shouldn't it be a Simon & Garfunkel song?

Posted 14 Oct 2015, 5:52:44

In Simon and Garfunkel setlists, the song “The Sound of Silence” is named as a “Paul Simon song” with the following remark: “Released on Simon's “recalled” 1965 album.” But the song was first published by Simon and Garfunkel on the “Wednesday Morning 3 a.m.” album in October 1964 (recorded March 1964) and according to Wikipedia Simon & Garfunkel's first breakup was 1965. So as the song was written and published during the Simon & Garfunkel years, shouldn't it be a Simon & Garfunkel song?

That is correct, I changed the song back to a Simon & Garfunkel song.

Re: Cover Song Guideline Changes--Playing in the Band

Posted 15 Oct 2015, 4:37:29

This song gets listed here as “Bob Weir cover.” He wrote it as a member of the Grateful Dead, and it was first recorded by the Grateful Dead on Skull And Roses released October '71. Later in May '72 the song re-appeared on Bob Weir's solo album “Ace.” which as you probably know was really a GD album musician-wise. Point being—I think it's a bit too technical calling it a Bob Weir cover—we all know it should be a “Grateful Dead cover.”

Posted 15 Oct 2015, 7:03:49

The first studio recording of the song is on Ace. Skull & Roses is a live album. It's a Bob Weir song. That's why it appears on The Best of Bob Weir but not on The Best of the Grateful Dead

Posted 29 Nov 2015, 15:29:22

what about when a songwriter releases their version and changes the name of the song after it has been covered? should the song be called what each artist released it as, thus giving writing attribution, but not linking it to an album correctly?

examples [both written (in part) by Ray Wylie Hubbard]

Bad on Fords and Chevrolets (released on Sammy Hagar & Friends, 2013; written by Ronnie Dunn and Ray Wylie Hubbard]
Bad on Fords (released by Hubbard, 2015, Dunn has not released it)

and

Up Against the Wall Red Neck (released by Jerry Jeff Walker on a live album in 1973) [wikipedia calls it “Up Against The Wall, Redneck Mother”]
Up Against the Wall Redneck (released by New Riders of the Purple Sage, on a studio album, 1975) [wikipedia calls it “Up Against the Wall, Redneck Mother”]
Redneck Mother (released by Hubbard in 1978, studio version – he did a live version in 1998 called “The Obligatory Encore”)

also, “redneck mother” has a different phrasing and punctuation for each artist that recorded it.

Posted 5 Dec 2015, 20:33:52

Sorry for the late response.

Up Against the Wall Red Neck (released by Jerry Jeff Walker on a live album in 1973) [wikipedia calls it “Up Against The Wall, Redneck Mother”]
Up Against the Wall Redneck (released by New Riders of the Purple Sage, on a studio album, 1975) [wikipedia calls it “Up Against the Wall, Redneck Mother”]
Redneck Mother (released by Hubbard in 1978, studio version – he did a live version in 1998 called “The Obligatory Encore”)

Well, Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote the song and he released his own version on his 1978 Off the Wall ablum. He gets the credit, nobody else. If he decided to call it “Redneck Mother” than that's the name we should be going with.

Bad on Fords and Chevrolets (released on Sammy Hagar & Friends, 2013; written by Ronnie Dunn and Ray Wylie Hubbard]
Bad on Fords (released by Hubbard, 2015, Dunn has not released it)

That one's a little trickier, because it comes from Sammy Hagar & Friends. Ronnie Dunn co-wrote the song and performs on the album… but I'm not sure if we would say he's a bandmember though. I think Sammy Hagar is the only person who should be listed as a band member for that album and he's not credited as a writer. He uses different 'friends' for each song. In that case it should probably be assigned to Ray Wylie Hubbard's The Ruffian Misfortune album since he did record and release it himself..

Last edited 5 Dec 2015, 20:35:35

Posted 7 Aug 2016, 17:35:29

Sirs,
according to your guideline the following questions have to be answered to decide about a cover.
1. Who wrote the song?
2. At any point in time did they release their own version of the song?

What about a case like the Dreigroschenoper / The Three Penny Opera, with the lyrics are written by Bertolt Brecht and the music by Kurt Weill? The songs are so famous, because lyrics and musics fits so well together, both parts are important.

I have a LP with a recording from 1929 on which Bertolt Brecht is singing personally “Die Moritat von Mackie Messer”. I do not know whether there is a recording by Kurt Weill, too. You can hear Brecht's recording here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QXJ3OXWaOY

On setlist.fm, the English version of the songs of the opera are mostly assigned to Kurt Weill ( http://www.setlist.fm/stats/covered/kurt-weill-1bd79974.html ), whereas the German versions of the songs are mostly assigned to Bert Brecht ( http://www.setlist.fm/stats/covered/bertolt-brecht-23d7042f.html ). E.g. “Die Moritat von Mackie Messer is assigned to Brecht, and “Mack the Knife” is assigned to Weill. But it is the same song! What is correct?

You're not allowed to do this, please sign in first.