Comments on the new edit form

Re: Comments on the new edit form

Posted 28 Aug 2013, 9:35:03

Oh gosh! I'm pretty tired actually of describing the obvious cons of the new form, duscussed here a million times, but okay, here we go again.

The problem number one was getting straight back to the setlist after putting the date artist and venue in as it was with the old form. Everything that was needed – get the submit button to appear on the first step. Problem solved. If someone wanted to go ahead with tours and songs, 'continue to…' buttons could be implimented. But no, sorry, no such button again and mandatory redirection to the 'songs' step. Blank setlists doesn't need any songs to be put in, isn't that like obvious? And I'm not even mentioning that again there is no clear way to create a blank set with one click like before. The reason 'it's created now after the first step' is not relevant, because the interface does not show me that it created something. It shows me that I need to put some songs in. So I'm still not done with the process of creating except if I've read all the heated dicussions in this forum.

The problem number two was the number of steps required to create a new set. Instead of implimenting the tour & festival change windows to the first step or creating the above mentioned 'choose your next step' buttons you decided to take the tour step out of the eqation completely. Well, that's just great. Now if the band has started a new tour or a new leg or performing an acoustic (not tour part) show, I need to do this. Put in the name and date, switch to the song list (which I don't need at all), see the note that the wizard has assigned wrong tour name to my set, curse the day, push sibmit, get to the set, choose the option of editing the tour and then, finally, I can put in the right tour name. 'Ok, this is like major malfunction, they had to leave some option for me to enter tour info manually when creating a set' I think and yes, in the blog I'm reading about turning off my usual option of autocorrecting. Well, whew, I think, okay, that suits me fine. For like two seconds I think like that. And then I realize that if I turn it off I'll have to resort to check my spelling, right covers and stuff with all the entered data. It's not either this or the right to put the tour name manually.

This is becoming a mess more and more really.

http://cs424517.vk.me/v424517252/205e/ZeAiK6tVv8s.jpg

This rough sketch should help. This is what the new wizard should look like and you try to narrow it down to the only right way possible. This is wrong and every more or less proficient web designer will tell you the same.

Last edited 28 Aug 2013, 10:01:29

Posted 28 Aug 2013, 10:04:05

Hey Starbreaker,

seems like you're quite upset about the new changes. Sorry about that, but let me address your points as it seems most of it isn't as bad as you make it sound ;-)

And I‘m not even mentioning that again there is no clear way to create a blank set with one click like before.

After submitting the artist, venue and date form a blank set is created with one step. It's basically the old form without the song field.

because the interface does not show me that it created something.

The interface says “Setlist created” and that it's now either leaving, submitting a blank setlist or adding songs.

So I‘m still not done with the process of creating except if I‘ve read all the heated dicussions in this forum.

Or, if you had a look at the tutorial. However, most users actually want to add songs to a setlist, as this is what setlist.fm is about.

Instead of implimenting the tour & festival change windows to the first step or creating the above mentioned ‘choose your next step‘ buttons you decided to take the tour step out of the eqation completely.

Yes. And the plan is to make the automatically assigned tour editable after creating the setlist with the next update of the form.

Well, whew, I think, okay, that suits me fine. For like two seconds I think like that. And then I realize that if I turn it off I‘ll have to resort to check my spelling, right covers and stuff with all the entered data.

You can enable/disable the autocorrect before submitting each form. I.e. if you enter artist, venue and date, de-select the autocorrect and hit submit, then no tour will be added. If you edit the songs you can choose again.

This is becoming a mess more and more really.

Reading from your comments, the only thing that became harder for you to do was to add a tour, isn't it? And that's already planned to be improved (as stated above).

The switching auto-correct on and off using the checkbox is advanced stuff and not intended for “regular” users, so if you have problems in understanding what it does, I'd be more than happy to explain any advanced feature to you in detail.

Posted 28 Aug 2013, 10:26:48

seems like you‘re quite upset about the new changes

I'm not that upset, but I never made any secret of the fact that I don't like the new form. Right from the beta-stage testing time. I'm not an admin also, so I have no real reason to care for the mobile, first time or inexpirienced users, I only care for my own personal convinience of using the site. And with the removed tour section personally for me it became even more incomprehensible than the three-step form.

After submitting the artist, venue and date form a blank set is created with one step. It‘s basically the old form without the song field.

No, it's most definetly not. There is no option available now to enter the tour data manually. There is no shortcut to the blank set. And all of these small problems are quite easily solved in five or ten mintes by writing a code according to the scheme I've quickly assembled in my previous post. I see no flaws in that scheme, it's very simple, quite complete and I think will please everyone. I'm upset not about the changes itself, I'm upset that you try to reinvent the wheel again and again.

Posted 28 Aug 2013, 10:50:10

I have no real reason to care for the mobile, first time or inexpirienced users, I only care for my own personal convinience of using the site.

Sure. And we on the other hand have to have the bigger picture in mind (inexperienced & mobile users and future features that build on top of this). Don't get me wrong, the opinion of moderators and experienced users is very important. I hope we made this clear by addressing all the mentioned points and trying to find solutions to all of your problems…

There is no option available now to enter the tour data manually.

Yes, got this point. There will be, most likely on the song page upon creation only.

There is no shortcut to the blank set.

That's correct, there isn't a shortcut to the blank set. I suppose you're talking about a shortcut right after submitting the artist/venue/date form and not about a lacking link on the songs page. The latter could be added quite easily, just as it is on the “confirmation page”. I'm curious about the former though: why would you want to get straight to the empty setlist after submitting the first form?

And all of these small problems are quite easily solved in five or ten mintes by writing a code according to the scheme I‘ve quickly assembled in my previous post.

Thanks for that. This is exactly the scheme we had before when editing a setlist (not creating, and this is what you're talking about I suppose). You're right in saying that adding the tour is now more complicated, given the case that you want to add a new/different tour. However adding something as simple as a tour name doesn't deserve its own step, also bearing in mind that it's completely optional.

I‘m upset that you try to reinvent the wheel again and again.

If you're really into the concept and followed this thread (as you obviously are/did), then yes, there was another major change between the first version of the “wizard” and the updated one. However if you take a step back, then it was basically just eliminating one step.

I believe all of your concerns can be solved by improving the current state of the form rather than rolling back to the old one.

Posted 28 Aug 2013, 11:30:29

I suppose you‘re talking about a shortcut right after submitting the artist/venue/date form and not about a lacking link on the songs page. The latter could be added quite easily, just as it is on the “confirmation page“. I‘m curious about the former though: why would you want to get straight to the empty setlist after submitting the first form?

Yes, I'm talking about that. Just like on my scheme, a way to go straight to the set after the first step. And exactly, yes, all these shortcuts drawed there were very easy to impliment in the three step wizard, changing nothing in the wizard itself, but making a simple and effective ways for everyone to do only the actions they chose to do instead of cutting this, adding that for three weeks straight and maybe discovering some middle ground in the process. I have to repeat myself, but it's much more easier to give users many ways to perform a certain task, than trying to please everybody with the one and only way. But after all, I'm not running the site, so if you prefer the hard way, it's your choice lol. I need to get to the empty setlist because I need to see the result of my actions, not just presume that everything went out all right and get to another one without double-checking.

You‘re right in saying that adding the tour is now more complicated, given the case that you want to add a new/different tour. However adding something as simple as a tour name doesn‘t deserve its own step, also bearing in mind that it‘s completely optional.

Well, if after some objections from us, users, admins now came to the conclusion that the tour & festival step should really be discarded, please bear in mind that no one (to my knowledge) asked to put it out of the eqation completely like you've just done, god knows why. We asked for you to consider either making abovementioned shortcuts, or implimenting the tour and festival field to the 'now-second' song step (well, actually to the first one, but you already made clear that it's not possible due to date and venue determination needed to pinpoint the festival). And now it's gone completely so I have to go back to make the wrong tour name right. To put this simply – I want to have control over what I'm actually doing.

Lol I wouldn't wonder, considering all these ways to make it even more and more simple for common folk, if soon setlist fm engine will deduce what band show I would like to add and what songs they have played this night. The latter is even easily implimented by automatically entering the last show setlist to the new one, since most of the bands are going through the same set with minimal changes on every date. Btw it would be nice to have a special button for these purposes on the editing songs page. Just came to my mind actually.

Last edited 28 Aug 2013, 11:57:45

Posted 28 Aug 2013, 16:19:21

Clicking Save Setlist after editing to only add a festival still does not take you back to the setlist. The blue loading bars appear and disappear, and you're stuck in editing mode.

Edit:
A button to go back to the Basics (Artist/Date/Venue) page would be handy in the second step.

Edit 2:
I miss the edit button after saving a setlist.

Also, I have a completely new suggestion. How about a feature where we enter a artist's tour's first and last date, then every date inbetween is automatically given that tour name? This would be handy for setlists that already exist on setlist.fm, but don't yet have tour names, as well as adding new setlists.

As well as this, I would still like the batch festival lineup adding page I suggested earlier on this topic. The updated adding form has definitely made it as easy as the original form, but I think this new addition would make it even more efficient for adding festival lineups.

Finally, what are the “Power Editor options” that you mention? I can't find the words “Power Editor” anywhere on this website, apart from in this topic. Nowhere in the guidelines/FAQ, nor when I add or edit a setlist. Am I missing something?

Last edited 28 Aug 2013, 17:43:48

Posted 28 Aug 2013, 17:56:51

Finally, what are the “Power Editor options“ that you mention? I can‘t find the words “Power Editor” anywhere on this website, apart from in this topic. Nowhere in the guidelines/FAQ, nor when I add or edit a setlist. Am I missing something?

I saw this green form just once after adding a new set yesterday or the day before yesterday. Also been wondering about the lack of its supposed presence.

Posted 28 Aug 2013, 18:40:32

Go to your settings page

Scroll down to the bottom

Check the box next to “Show a form after submitting a setlist that allows you to enter another setlist of the same artist, venue etc.”

Click “Submit”

Posted 29 Aug 2013, 1:39:41

Go to your settings page

Thanks!

Posted 29 Aug 2013, 3:45:28

ARRRGHHH!!!!!!!

I just had a similar issue. I have a bunch of tabs open waiting to be used to add the lineup of a festival:
http://www.setlist.fm/festival/2011/field-day-2011-4bd6b76e.html
http://www.inthemix.com.au/news/51098/Parklife_Sydney_set_times_are_in

I added a few setlists, then had to mess around a bit on musicbrainz to sort out duplicate artists of the same name.
When I returned to complete adding the festival setlist, as soon as I began typing an Artist name into the form, the page redirected to the setlist.fm homepage.
This is not terrible like it was before, but it's definitely an issue/bug. Although I think it's important to fix this directly, my batch festival lineup adding form would be a great workaround for this.

Posted 29 Aug 2013, 4:12:18

Song titles with accented characters are still not being loosely matched (i.e. typing “cafe” matches “café”) when using autocomplete. On the other hand, venue names do not have this problem.

Posted 29 Aug 2013, 7:04:34

Go to your settings page Scroll down to the bottom Check the box next to “Show a form after submitting a setlist that allows you to enter another setlist of the same artist, venue etc.“ Click ”Submit

It is checked, but I still see no green form appearing, sorry.

And concering the new edit form, yeah, after adding some new sets today, I've rationalized that the only thing that is really missing is the manual control over tour & festival section.

Posted 29 Aug 2013, 7:11:47

Clicking on the green Artist or Venue name when editing still does not select the entire content of the respective field, like it did with the original edit form.

Edit:
My 3:45:28 AM post just happened again, this time while adding a bunch of Ash Grunwald tour dates… This time I was sorting out duplicate venues on setlist.fm, and when I returned to adding setlists, I was taken to the homepage again. This is going to get very annoying!

For what it's worth, (and I know it's going to be fixed,) I agree with Starbreaker with the fact that the Tour and Festival should be editable in the first step.

Last edited 29 Aug 2013, 7:17:53

Posted 29 Aug 2013, 7:29:38

A button to go back to the Basics (Artist/Date/Venue) page would be handy in the second step.

One could think about that.

I miss the edit button after saving a setlist.

Definitely missing.

It is checked, but I still see no green form appearing, sorry.

Sorry, since yesterday's update it's not green anymore. The form is currently displayed on the confirmation page after submitting a setlist and on the songs page. On the songs page it's either in a top-right box (when using a big screen) or right below the form (when using a small screen).

Song titles with accented characters are still not being loosely matched

Yes, we're aware of this and it's on the list, it just didn't make it into yesterday's update.

Clicking on the green Artist or Venue name when editing still does not select the entire content of the respective field, like it did with the original edit form.

It's the same component, but we'll take a look.

ARRRGHHH!!!!!!!

Sounds like a session expiration that happens after 60 minutes inactivity. Was you inactive time anywhere near this?

And concering the new edit form, yeah, after adding some new sets today, I‘ve rationalized that the only thing that is really missing is the manual control over tour & festival section.

Cheers!

Posted 29 Aug 2013, 7:36:02

Was you inactive time anywhere near this?

Possibly. But I used to leave tabs open overnight midway through adding a bunch of setlists. I'll miss being able to do this.

You probably didn't see my other edits on my posts. :)

The form is currently displayed on the confirmation page after submitting a setlist and on the songs page.

A button on viewing a setlist would also be handy. Having the form only available after adding a setlist is only useless when adding support acts at the same time as the headline act. Quite often I don't find support act information until long after adding a headline artist setlist.

One more suggestion (unrelated to the new form, seems excessive to post a new forum topic):
What is the possibly of adding a “creator:…” search term. I would use this purely for curiosity's sake, to see how many setlists I have created – opposed to just edited with “editor:…”.

You're not allowed to do this, please sign in first.