Comments on the new edit form

Re: Comments on the new edit form

Posted 14 Aug 2013, 16:20:07

Ok I think I see the purpose of the new wizard. It's to try to make it easier for mobile users to add setlists while at a concert. It looks like it should just be the mobile version though. Maybe I need to play around with it more, but it doesn't seem to help the 'power-editors' who sit down at a real computer and add a whole 50-show tour. Some things that I think would help:

1) I think the wizard should be 2-Steps. On the first page you just add Band, Venue and Date. On the second page you add songs. Two steps will sound even easier for new users ;-)

2) After adding Band, Venue and Date on the first page, the ability to add to 'Add New Setlist' straight from there and skip any other pages. If we just add a whole tour and let the people who were at those shows fill in the songs, then we don't even need to see the song page.

3) Put 'Add Tour' and 'Add Festival' as two more options on the confirmation page (with new guidelines).

And… If you really want to make it easier for 'power-editors'… It would be soooo nice if we had the option to add more than one show at a time. Add the Band, and then separate 'venue & date' boxes on the same page. Then we could put up a whole tour with one click of the button! ;-)

Last edited 14 Aug 2013, 16:30:29

Posted 15 Aug 2013, 1:42:40

Here is an extremely annoying thing that I noticed while editing this setlist:
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/la-renga/1999/estadio-huracan-buenos-aires-argentina-bc62df2.html

There is a song that has “@With[Ricardo Mollo]” that kept getting changed to “@With[Ricardo Villalobos]” even if I was doing a totally unrelated edit. The only way that I could keep it from it from happening was by using the MBID for Ricardo Mollo but most people won't know to do that.

This was not an isolated incident, I've seen it also in other setlists.

Last edited 15 Aug 2013, 2:24:16

Posted 15 Aug 2013, 4:18:52

I have five suggestions for changes:
1: Combine Stages 1 and 2 of the new process
2: Add a Submit button to Stage 1
3: Add a dropdown box to the Festival select page, to choose how many festival names to display on the one page.
4: Add a Edit Setlist (not Edit Setlist Info) to the top right corner of the grey Setlist area. I don't think this would make the page too busy, and would be easily viewable and contrasting with the Edit Setlist Info button.
5: Create a batch setlist-adding page, as ExecutiveChimp suggested. I have 2 different uses for this:
One is as he said, to add an entire tour of a particular artist. Artist and Tour Name fields are pre-selected, and then we are given a list of blank Venues and Date fields to fill in.
Secondly, to add a complete lineup of a festival for one day. Currently, there is a Add Setlist button next to each day of a festival. I suggest adding a Add Multiple Setlists button. This would take you to a page with a list of blank Artist fields, with Venue and Date fields already filled. This would great speed-up the process of adding festival lineups to the database.

But you‘re aware that you can use the dropdown choice at the top of your concerts to display up to 500 attendances on one page?

My mistake, I swear that dropdown box wasn't there before! :P

That would be a solution for you (write details about you to our contact e-mail address about this), but not for all other power editors struggling with the 3-step “wizard”.

Thanks! But what details are you after? Previous activity on setlist.fm, areas I would mostly try to look after, contact details…?

Last edited 15 Aug 2013, 10:35:41

Posted 15 Aug 2013, 4:21:52

Additionally, I had this forum page open from last night (it's now morning), and I guess it had timed-out by the time I posted my reply today. I typed my entry and clicked Save Entry, but I was instead taken to the setlist.fm homepage and my reply wasn't sent. Lucky I was able to use my browser's Back button (and my text was luckily still there), but perhaps I may not be so fortunate in the future…

Posted 15 Aug 2013, 10:01:52

I just thought of another change I'd like to see:
Currently, when a setlist has a tour name, the Add Setlist (of the same tour) button only appears when the setlist has content. This is by far the easiest way to add a setlist of the same tour.
When there is no show in the tour with any setlist content, I've been adding an @Unknown song to a setlist letting me use the Add Setlist (of the same tour) button.

eg.
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/that-1-guy/2009/the-bottleneck-lawrence-ks-53dae3a1.html

Why not just have this button on every setlist with a tour name, regardless of whether the setlist has content?

Edit:
Additionally, perhaps the different names used for a venue over the years could be merged into one venue. Then, when someone adds a setlist at that venue, it is automatically created at the correct venue name for the date it occurred.
Would this be possible/practical?

A good example for this is London's 02 Shepherd's Bush Empire/Shepherd's Bush Empire.
Implementing this would also mean that when a venue's link is clicked, the number of times an artist has performed there would be the sum of their performances at the venue across all its previous names.

Last edited 15 Aug 2013, 10:35:26

Posted 15 Aug 2013, 10:31:12

Well, first off, you guys are great, thanks for that. There's a lot of very useful feedback and also some valuable insight how you use the website. Please also read my previous comment with the new suggestions, but I'll make them clear in this entry as many problems you've mentioned seem to be solved. So here we go:

ExecutiveChimp

1) I think the wizard should be 2-Steps.

Yes. Let's make the second step automatic. I.e. use the tour name of the previous and following concert if autocorrect is enabled. Adding a festival and/or a tour are things that shouldn't have to be done for each setlist.

2) After adding Band, Venue and Date on the first page

Also yes. This is what I tried to describe in the two suggestions yesterday. The idea is to save the setlist (i.e. create it without songs) after the first step. The button then won't be labelled “continue” but something like “create setlist”. You'll then get to the song page where you can either enter the songs, or use the “power editor” tool to select artist, venue, tour, date to create a new setlist. So adding a setlist for a whole tour of an artist should be no more than clicking 2 checkboxes on the page, hitting submit, adding the venue and resume with the checkboxes.

3) Put ‘Add Tour‘ and ‘Add Festival‘

Yes for a third time. Makes far more sense than the making the optional step mandatory…

Soundwave

The only way that I could keep it from it from happening was by using the MBID for Ricardo Mollo but most people won‘t know to do that.

We had some changes in the Cover and With tag when autocorrect is enabled. You can either use the MBID or disable the autocorrect checkbox (be sure to enable the visibility of the checkbox on your settings page). For your particular example, I'll try to have a look at it ASAP and see why it changes it back. Sounds like a small bug.

pomes27

1 & 2, see above

3: Add a dropdown box to the Festival select page

Let's do this.

4: Add a Edit Setlist (not Edit Setlist Info)

that's about the scrolling isn't it? :-) We have to evaluate this and see how it looks.

5: Create a batch setlist-adding page, as ExecutiveChimp suggested. I

Let's first try the thing I described above and see then if we really need an extra batch adding page, ok?

My mistake, I swear that dropdown box wasn‘t there before! :P

No, my mistake. This one went online with the wizard, so it's actually pretty new :-)

So thanks again for your feedback. It seems as if the suggestions (mixed with your input) would really make the adding process easier. I can't tell you how long it'll take to implement, but we're expecting it to be online sometime next week.

cheers

Posted 15 Aug 2013, 13:44:57

A few more points regarding the “@With” issue:
1- Revert is no longer an option when autocorrect is enabled for songs that have “@With” :(. So if you are adding “@With[Artist A]” but the autocorrect makes it “@With[Artist B]”, you have no easy way of overriding it (putting the artist's MBID by doing another edit I don't consider easy)

2- As I mentioned before, even after you have “@With” finally correct, the next time somebody makes an edit with autocorrect enabled, the @With will be changed yet again to what the autocorrect originally wanted it to be even if that person had not changed that particular song.

Sorry to keep hampering on this but I see the potential for lots of frustration and bad data from this one issue. I appreciate your taking our feedback on this new feature. Thanks!

Last edited 15 Aug 2013, 13:45:54

Posted 16 Aug 2013, 7:07:40

Sorry to keep hampering on this but I see the potential for lots of frustration and bad data

No need to worry, that's quite important. We'll try to re-enable the revert for With tags and also check why it keeps changing…

Posted 16 Aug 2013, 13:39:04

The page currently asks once per session. We could extend this to once a week or so. I hope you didn‘t have to enter your location but just click on ‘ok‘?

Yeah, I had to. Everytime I close my browser, then re-enter the site and try to hit 'Add setlist', a pop-up 'Locating my location' Opera window appears again and again.

4: Add a Edit Setlist (not Edit Setlist Info) to the top right corner of the grey Setlist area. I don‘t think this would make the page too busy, and would be easily viewable and contrasting with the Edit Setlist Info button.

Voting for that change. Now that we have to click on the separate 'Edit Setlist' to make some changes to the actual songs, not the date and venue, that button should be on top.

Currently, when a setlist has a tour name, the Add Setlist (of the same tour) button only appears when the setlist has content. This is by far the easiest way to add a setlist of the same tour. When there is no show in the tour with any setlist content, I‘ve been adding an @Unknown song to a setlist letting me use the Add Setlist (of the same tour) button.

Voting for that also. Never understood the point of not having the 'Add setlist' button when the setlist is blank.

It's hard to discuss something that's still not online, so let's see the new wizard first. By the way I don't quite understood that 'power editor form' thing. I've checked the option in my settings, but no form of any kind appeared yet after I create a new setlist.

Last edited 16 Aug 2013, 13:48:58

Posted 16 Aug 2013, 13:48:10

Yeah, I had to. Everytime I close my browser, then re-enter the site and try to hit ‘Add setlist‘, a pop-up ‘Locating my location‘ Opera window appears again and again.

Ok. Might be best to couple this with the login-time rather than the session time. I.e. it asks once every time you provide your credentials to log in.

Voting for that change. Now that we have to click on the separate ‘Edit Setlist‘ to make some changes to the actual songs, not the date and venue, that button should be on top.

Yeah, that shouldn't be a problem if we add a second link on the paper.

Never understood the point of not having the ‘Add setlist‘ button when the setlist is blank.

Me neither. Just heard this existing, this sounds more like a bug than a feature.

cheers

Posted 16 Aug 2013, 21:54:41

Thanks for the response michi!

This is a little off topic, but it's already been discussed in here. Regarding the “@With” problem. Here's an example. One Grateful Dead show had “@With[John Cipollina]” on a couple songs. The auto-correct changed one song to “@With[John Entwistle]” and another to “@With[Elton John]”! Three totally different people. Weird. I reverted it just so it wouldn't stay like that.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/grateful-dead/1979/oakland-auditorium-arena-oakland-ca-23d6044f.html#sfmses6be5cefe

Last edited 16 Aug 2013, 21:57:30

Posted 17 Aug 2013, 3:23:19

Pressing the keyboard Enter key after entering a tour name takes you back to the Artist/Venue/Date page, instead of forward.
Also, is there a bug with autocorrections for Tour Names? I entered “2013 North America Tour” instead of “2013 North American Tour”, but I had to manually fix the name a second time. There were already 21 shows under the second name, and none under the first.
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-john-butler-trio/2013/planet-bluegrass-lyons-co-3bc62450.html

Michi:
No comment on my Shepherd‘s Bush Empire suggestion? I know this isn't the “right” place to suggest that, but I thought it was better & easier than creating a new forum topic.

Last edited 17 Aug 2013, 4:55:53

Posted 17 Aug 2013, 4:38:25

Additionally, perhaps the different names used for a venue over the years could be merged into one venue. Then, when someone adds a setlist at that venue, it is automatically created at the correct venue name for the date it occurred.
Would this be possible/practical?

No comment on my Shepherd‘s Bush Empire suggestion?

This idea has been suggested before. I don't know if/when it will be implemented, but I know the Admins are aware of it.

Posted 17 Aug 2013, 5:34:50

Cool, thanks for that!

Perhaps this is another bug? When editing a setlist, it doesn't display the day of the week it was on (only the date, month and year) until I begin changing the date. Day names are especially useful when performing edits to festival lineups. This was already the case before the new changes happened.
Is it possible to always display the day name, before we begin changing the date?

Last edited 17 Aug 2013, 5:40:22

Posted 17 Aug 2013, 10:13:06

This is a little off topic, but it‘s already been discussed in here. Regarding the “@With“ problem. Here‘s an example. One Grateful Dead show had “@With[John Cipollina]“ on a couple songs.

Yeah, performing autocorrections with the With tag doesn't make much sense. We've already corrected it and it will be online with the next update (which we expect to be next week).

No comment on my Shepherd‘s Bush Empire suggestion?

My response was after you edited your post, so I missed this one :-). As leglessmoof correctly pointed out, we are aware of this and actually we'll start working on this right after the wizard gets finished.

When editing a setlist, it doesn‘t display the day of the week it was on (only the date, month and year) until I begin changing the date.

Well yes, this obviously isn't a feature :-) I'll take note of this as well.

Also, is there a bug with autocorrections for Tour Names? I entered “2013 North America Tour“ instead of “2013 North American Tour“, but I had to manually fix the name a second time. There were already 21 shows under the second name, and none under the first.

That's, well, interesting. As the system doesn't make up names. I'll have to check if it maybe looks on tour names for other artists as well…

Pressing the keyboard Enter key after entering a tour name takes you back to the Artist/Venue/Date page, instead of forward.

Won't be a problem as soon as we move the tour page out.

You're not allowed to do this, please sign in first.