Cover assignments

Re: Cover assignments

Posted 2 Oct 2016, 1:58:34

Normally it would be listed “Breadfan [Budgie cover] but we have made exceptions if bands have re-recorded the song with different lyrics and a different title.

Posted 2 Oct 2016, 6:38:59

Ok that makes sense. I'll post in the thread to have it changed.

Posted 11 Oct 2016, 18:42:26

Hi,
this song has a wrong cover: http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/cecilia-bartoli-3bd67074.html?song=Caro+Mio+Ben
Cecilia Bartoli, an Italian opera singer, was born in 1966, but my father has recordings of that song from the 1950s.
On https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommaso_Giordani it is stated:
“The authorship of the popular arietta Caro mio ben (1783) is as yet uncertain. It is mostly ascribed to Tommaso Giordani, but sometimes to his younger brother Giuseppe Giordani.”

Posted 20 Nov 2016, 11:08:51

The Troggs' song Anyway That You Want Me is currently listed as an H.P. Lovecraft cover, but since The Troggs released it in Dec 1966, and H.P. Lovecraft not until 1967, I suspect this is wrong. Chip Taylor wrote it (so too Wild Thing, which is rightly listed as a Chip Taylor cover) and several websites list the first recorded version as Tina Mason in Sep. 1966. Any thoughts on this?

Posted 20 Nov 2016, 11:33:35

https://secondhandsongs.com/work/3286
Actually it was Tina Mason that released it first, zonk.
So attibute all to her.

Posted 21 Nov 2016, 0:32:50

Yep – agreed, zonk. 'Anyway That You Want Me' should be listed as a Tina Mason cover. Can someone please fix? Would do it myself, only Tina Mason isn't listed on setlist or musicbrainz.

Posted 21 Nov 2016, 1:16:14

No, “Any Way That You Want Me” should be listed as a Chip Taylor song. He wrote it and released it on his Hit Man album.

Posted 21 Nov 2016, 2:00:01

I'm happy for 'Any Way That You Want Me' to be listed as a Chip Taylor cover, as he clearly wrote it. Just wasn't sure if his was the first released version. Chip's 'Hit Man' album wasn't released until 1996, thirty years after Tina Mason's version and The Troggs' version. Similarly it's not clear whether Chip released 'Wild Thing' before The Wild Ones' 1965 version, even though he wrote it. Websites suggest Chip made unreleased demos of these songs at the time, but I'm happy for him to be credited as the original.

Posted 21 Nov 2016, 2:39:38

It doesn't matter who released the songs first. Check the guidelines. He wrote the song. He recorded the song. It's his.

Posted 21 Nov 2016, 9:25:40

Yeah, he released it bloody 30 years after original release.
The rule to attribute an earlier release as cover of later release is illogical.
One CANNOT cover something that does not exist at that time. It is the later version that is a cover of an earlier version PERIOD.

Please apply logical thinking to the guidelines.

It is Chip who covered an original song of Tina.

Or clarify the rule to assign all songs not written by the band as cover of writers, because the current middle ground defies all logic.

Posted 22 Nov 2016, 2:14:01

There's no reason for you to keep saying the same thing over again. I'm not interested in your opinion. We get it, you don't agree with the guidelines. It doesn't make any difference. Thanks.

Posted 22 Nov 2016, 8:12:38

Apologies if I've stirred up a hornets nest with this one. I'm cool with Chip Taylor being listed, because Tina Mason's version didn't chart anywhere (except Palmdale, California – it reached number 40!) However SF makes a good point. And I realise guidelines are guidelines, but there seems to be some inconsistencies: in most cases Hal David/Burt Bacharach songs are not listed by the original artists who recorded them, but as Burt Bacharach covers. And yet 'Anyone Who Had A Heart' is listed as a Dionne Warwick cover, and '24 Hours from Tulsa' is listed as a Gene Pitney cover, even though songwriter Burt has recorded them subsequently, and therefore under the guidelines they could be considered Bacharach covers. Aside from all that, I think setlist fm is a brilliant website. And these problems are pretty insignificant if you're living in the Third World. So cool it guys, and keep up the good work.

Posted 29 Jul 2017, 8:24:55

The song “Born Under A Bad Sign” was CO-WRITTEN by William Bell (lyrics) and Booker T (music) for Albert King who recorded it first. Even though “Booker T & the M.G.'s” subsequently recorded a version of the song, so too did William Bell. The band “Booker T & the M.G.'s” did not write the song, they did not record it first nor did they own it. It does not make sanse that they should be credited with being the original artist on this site. If Booker T, as a solo artist, had subsequently recorded it, it could be credited as a “Booker T cover” (as per site rules), but he didn't so justifiably it is an “Albert King cover”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_Under_a_Bad_Sign_(song)

Last edited 2 Aug 2017, 5:51:29

Posted 2 Aug 2017, 2:56:20

Is setlist considering the ability to denote a cover within a medley? Here are comments from the Ed Sheeran concert of 30 July 2017 that gets at the issue:

2 days ago: MorningDew:
Ed Sheeran played “Feeling Good” (made famous by Nina Simone—though written by Newley and Bricusse) straight into “I See Fire” without a break.

a day ago: jennylehman2: Setlist changed…

a day ago: jennylehman2: Setlist changed…

a day ago: MorningDew:
Hello Jenny, I see the changes you made: space-slash-space to show that Ed Sheeran played “Feeling Good” and “I See Fire” together. I tried that after including that “Feeling Good” was a cover, but it wouldn't work. I don't know what setlist.fm's protocal is as to which takes precedence: proper cover attribution or denoting a medley. (I chose the former since some bands, like the Grateful Dead, can play for two hours straight without stopping, in effect, creating one set-long “medley.”)

about 10 hours ago: jennylehman2:
He always plays them together as a medley. No need to add that it's a cover (nobody else does).

So, setlist community, is there a solution?

Posted 2 Aug 2017, 9:38:41

It is not a medley, it's is just one song followed directly by another. Medley is when parts of songs interchange within one song, for example what Dio did durion Monsters of Rock shows in 83 and 87. Opens with one song then out of the blue in the middle there is portion of another song (or more) and there is a reprise of the first song at the end. Or Metallica's Kill/Ride Medley, that changed during that tour with some portions of songs changed for others.

Neater way is to simply enter separate songs into setlist to keep their statistics than to create a medley moloch that does not appear on any album and messes the statistics up.

You're not allowed to do this, please sign in first.