watching a live stream is not attending a concert

watching a live stream is not attending a concert

Posted 2 Jan 2021, 3:32:52

there are a lot of people this year claiming shows that they for sure did not attend, I assume because they watched the live stream online. This doesn't make sense, if watching something on your computer is “attending” a show, what is the point of tracking shows attended at all? I know it's been a giant drag to miss out, but I have watched probably 40 streams in 2020 & still I don't feel like I can claim I “went to 40 shows in 2020″.

Re: watching a live stream is not attending a concert

Posted 2 Jan 2021, 4:41:30

While I personally agree with you there was a discussion about this and it was decided to allow it. A big reason was that it was technically very difficult/impossible to disable the “I attended” feature for the setlists. And there are a few people who do actually attend some of these shows.

Posted 2 Jan 2021, 14:44:54

I guess it’s personal choice – it’s just kinda like claiming you attended Woodstock after watching the film. I’m just being salty because I went to 54 shows in 2019 and only got to go to 5 in 2020 :(

I MISS SHOWS

Posted 2 Jan 2021, 14:59:03

Again, I agree with you but there were some people that strongly felt that an interactive Livestream event was the same as attending. The fact that there was no realistic way to prevent someone from clicking “I attended” ended the discussion.

Posted 6 Jan 2021, 7:18:59

“The fact that there was no realistic way to prevent someone from clicking “I attended” ended the discussion.”

Additionally, It doesn't affect anybody experience with the page or its own concerts

Posted 6 Jan 2021, 19:32:03

But it does implicitly imply that the person was an attendee who may have some special insight into what happened at the show which is usually not the case. Actual attendees have provided information such as songs played during commercials and/or before the cameras were running. Which is why I agree with CharlosD that viewers are not attendees. Unfortunately that is how they will be listed.

Posted 8 Jan 2021, 9:14:28

Partly agree, partly disagree, not all cases are the same. Even though, there's no way to control if somebody is lying about attending to a gig, including live direct ones. However, there's no real need, the fact that somebody has a different point of view about what is an attendance o it is directly lying doesn't affect webpage functions or other users' experience.

Posted 15 Jan 2021, 15:55:00

I was in two minds about this as I have watch a few lockdown gigs and was wondering whether to tick the box, but ultimately it is down to the individual as I don't go searching out others questioning whether they attended a gig. Attended is my stat and I'm the only one responsible for deciding that figure against my user.

Personally, if it's not a free stream, live and I've paid “ticket” money, I think it's fair to mark it down as “attended”.

Posted 15 Jan 2021, 17:54:08

Another reason for allowing the “I attended” feature was that so Users could keep track of the shows they saw. There was no practical way to differentiate an actual attendee from a viewer unfortunately

Posted 14 Nov 2021, 16:31:39

Has a definitive guideline been established regarding live-streamed events? Does watching a livestream on TV count? I recall viewing this event (https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/queen/2012/olympic-stadium-london-england-53dc3799.html), live-streamed to the US from London. Should, or could, I list myself as having been there? Maybe all the live-streamed and televised events could be text/color-coded in Setlist? … whether free or pay-per-view?

Posted 14 Nov 2021, 16:44:26

I think we decided that it was a personal choice and not to worry about tracking it here – I don’t list them, others do, and it’s all okay.

Posted 14 Nov 2021, 16:52:47

Correct, it is up to the User if they want to list it or not.

Posted 14 Nov 2021, 16:58:43

Got it, thanks.

Posted 25 Nov 2021, 21:25:52

WOW. 54 shows in a year?! STOP THE PRESSES

Posted 4 Feb 2022, 15:00:31

I agree with both points of view. I've not marked any livestreams as attended but I'd like a way of tracking which livestream gigs I've attended. I don't really want to add them as it'll have a big impact on my stats. Ideally I'd be able to to say “I attended virtually” and then have a button to exclude virtual concerts from my stats if I wanted. It crossed my mind to create a second account to record my livestream views.

You're not allowed to do this, please sign in first.