Looking for help pulling Springsteen setlist

Looking for help pulling Springsteen setlist

Posted 29 Jun 2016, 16:05:13

I have to do a visulization project for school and was hoping to use his setlists as the basis for my project. Only problem is I don't know how to pull the data from setlist.fm and other sources out there aren't as complete

I know his MBID is 70248960-cb53-4ea4-943a-edb18f7d336f

Any experts out that that can help me out?

Re: Looking for help pulling Springsteen setlist

Posted 30 Jun 2016, 6:37:45

/artist/{mbid}/setlists is the API method you'd want to use. Replace the mbid with the actual mbid and use the paging parameter to loop through the pages.

Posted 30 Jun 2016, 12:33:19

Thanks. Now do I use a program to pull the data or is it browser based?

Posted 30 Jun 2016, 12:38:09

Thanks. Now do I use a program to pull the data or is it browser based?

The API returns either XML or JSON. It's up to you how you process the data.

Posted 30 Jun 2016, 12:45:34

ok, I have zero experience with this. I might just need to grab data manually from a fan site

Posted 30 Jun 2016, 12:47:20

There are some additional stats on Springsteen's stat page

Posted 30 Jun 2016, 12:49:59

Yes, that is some of what I wanted to replicate in Tableau for my school project along with profiling countries played, US States with most shows and most shows by tour, song most likely to open show.

I already complied albums and songs data and albums, release date and highest US chart ranking for the project.

Posted 30 Jun 2016, 12:52:46

Nice. There's the Concert map for the concerts for countries. Click on the United States on the map to see the states he played in along with the counts.

List of openers, mainset closers and show closers are (tour or year wise) on the Average setlist page.

Posted 30 Jun 2016, 12:56:01

Wish I could just use that data for the project!

I have the Ties That Bind tour info, now I have to get the prior tours together

Posted 30 Jun 2016, 13:00:37

Wish I could just use that data for the project!

Apart from the highest chart ranking, everything you listed should be available on the stats pages. You can filter the setlists by tour and year by clicking the tour names or years in the left column. It's a bit tedious, as this data is only available through the website, but it might be your easiest option to get the data (easier than reading through fan sites).

Sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

Good luck for your school project!

Posted 30 Jun 2016, 13:03:39

The biggest issue I have is getting it into Tableau. So far the other stuff I have compiled in Excel to make it easy to import.

For the River anniversary tour I have date, city, state, country, venue, song 1 – song 40 in an excel tab.

Posted 30 Jun 2016, 13:15:58

That's a bit tricky. You could try to pull the data in JSON format and use an online tool to format JSON to CSV to import into Excel.

E.g. for the first page of Springsteen setlists in JSON format you could access this link

Then copy the result to e.g. this tool and then download the CSV to Excel. Repeat by changing the “p=1″ part of the above link to “p=2″ etc.

Posted 30 Jun 2016, 13:21:48

Nice, this could work!!

Dumb question, how do you download the CSV, I click download and nothing seems to happen

Last edited 30 Jun 2016, 13:24:16

Posted 30 Jun 2016, 13:27:45

Dumb question, how do you download the CSV, I click download and nothing seems to happen

Try right clicking the link and then choose “Download linked file as…” (or a similar option, depending on your browser) and then name it springsteen.csv – the important part is the “.csv” extension.

Posted 30 Jun 2016, 17:05:21

119 files, damn this guy has played a lot of shows!

Thanks again for your help

You're not allowed to do this, please sign in first.