Search by setlist returns 403

Search by setlist returns 403

Posted 2 Jan 2019, 17:02:48

I am running into an issue using the website “Test” for the api.

If you go here (at least as of 1/2/2019)
https://api.setlist.fm/docs/1.0/ui/index.html#!/%2F1.0%2Fsearch%2Fsetlists/resource_1_0_search_setlists_getSetlists_ GET

and try to use the setlist search test, no matter what I enter I get back a 403.

Note: I can do a search by artist and that works so the API is at least partially working.

Re: Search by setlist returns 403

Posted 3 Jan 2019, 22:58:08

Seems to be a bit more interesting than I originally though — I am getting a 403 “randomly” which means sometimes my API call works and sometimes it does (no code changes between executions). Is there some sort of call limit?

Re: Search by setlist returns 403

Posted 7 Jan 2019, 14:28:55

Is there some sort of call limit?

Yes there is, but I think it should return 429 (too many requests) if the rate limit is reached. At what rate do you send your requests?

Re: Search by setlist returns 403

Posted 7 Jan 2019, 14:33:18

I am making 5 to 10 calls a minute (running unit tests right now). If you can let me know what the rate limit is, I'll make sure I add throttling to my code.

Re: Search by setlist returns 403

Posted 7 Jan 2019, 14:39:58

5 to 10 calls a minute

This shouldn't be a problem as long as they're equally distributed. Are there any bursts? Unit tests sound like a lot of requests a second.

Also I've just tested the getSetlists endpoint using your key and got a response code 200. Do you still get 403s?

Re: Search by setlist returns 403

Posted 7 Jan 2019, 15:02:36

For this set of unit tests, its only 3 methods and each method is making a single call to the API — from looking at the network trace it works out to be 3 calls in 1 second per run (when I was having the issue, I was running them about once every 2 min as I was debugging). As for when it happens, It seems to be rather random. I will get valid calls for an hour or so, and then all of a sudden 1 or 2 out of the 3 API calls will fail with a 403 — the weird part is, I have never seen all of them fail with a 403 error at once, usually at least 1 works no matter what (which one changes though between runs)

Post Reply

You're not allowed to do this, please sign in first.