Odd Venue Relationship - London, UK

Odd Venue Relationship - London, UK

Posted 8 Jan 2021, 14:53:35

Astoria 2 in London and the Mean Fiddler.
I have noticed that a lot of setlists are assigned to the Astoria 2 despite the venue name changing in 2001 to Mean Fiddler.
It is a weird relationship, as there was a “Mean Fiddler” in Harlesden, London which was the original venue that the “Mean Fiddler Group” started in. when the Mean Fiddler Organisation bought the London Astoria and Astoria 2 venues. They closed the original Harlesden location and eventually re-opened that location as the “Old Fiddler” renaming Astoria 2 to Mean Fiddler.

In the venue listing it shows “Mean Fiddler, London” as distinct from “Astoria 2, London” as per the guidelines, but I couldn't find a definitive date for the change of name.
The best I have been able to find is the date on which my invoices to the venue changed, being the 1 June 2001, I worked reelance inhouse there, but I believe the signage was changed before the Admin side of the company caught up…
There are still a lot of setlists showing “Astoria 2″ up until the venue finally closed in 2009
Is there a way to bulk change these? and should Astoria 2 be marked as closed

I Have also noticed the Venue listing for Mean Fiddler London is ambiguous on Misicbrainz, as it says the Soho Location is still in Harlesden, the original location, but with the correct address, so am contacting them too.

Any advice greatly received

Last edited 8 Jan 2021, 15:04:10

Re: Odd Venue Relationship - London, UK

Posted 8 Jan 2021, 15:12:13

Weird, it deleted the original post!

Mean Fiddler, London and Astoria 2
The original Mean Fiddler was in Harlesden, London
Astoria 2 was in Soho, London.
Mean Fiddler Organisation bought London Astoria and Astoria 2, changing the name of Astoria 2 to Mean Fiddler in around 2001. I haven't been able to find a definitive date for the name change. Bst I can find is my old invoices which changed on 1/7/2001, but I believe the signage was changed before the admin side of things took a while to catch up with the public facing side of the company.

It seems a bit ambiguos on MusicBrainz with the “new” Mean Fiddler showing the correct address, but stating it was still in Harlesden instead of Soho.
I'm looking to contact them too.

There are a lot of setlists showing Astoria 2 until the venue eventually closed in 2009.
As per the guidelines, the new name should be used for those shows post June 2001 at least, but I wasn't sure if this could be bulk modified?

Not sure if the Astoria 2 should be updated with a “closed” date?

Any advice greatly received
Thanks

Posted 11 Jan 2021, 7:37:29

Weird, it deleted the original post!

Sorry, it somehow recognised your initial post as SPAM. Fixed that.

If I understand correctly, this venue Mean Fiddler, London is the same place as this venue Astoria 2, London. I.e. in the basement of the London Astoria, as the info line of the former says. It says “formerly located in Harlesden” as well, and that's incorrect? Wikipedia also speaks of a “venue also called Mean Fiddler was previously set up in Harlesden”, so they don't have a connection?

You're right, as per guidelines, the venue should have open and close dates depending on the different names. So “Astoria 2″, “Mean Fiddler” and “Bang” (not sure if there were concerts, according to Wikipedia it was a nightclub then). Unfortunately there's currently no way to bulk edit the setlists. Cases like this usually involve a handful of setlists that can be manually edited. But we could think about something to avoid manually changing hundreds of setlists once we have the correct open and close dates of all names that were used.

Posted 11 Jan 2021, 17:29:51

It sounds like the Astoria 2 became the Mean Fiddler in 2001 and used that name until 2006/2007 when the Mean Fiddler group sold it. It then probably reverted to using the Astoria 2 name until it closed in January 2009.

Posted 12 Jan 2021, 0:04:00

Hi Guys, @Michi Thanks for fixing the original post.

It was a bit ambiguous, as there doesn't seem to be much in the way of definitive dates online, and I spoke to a couple of colleagues who, also, don't remember the details!
It didn't really change much for us working there until they told us to change the name on the invoice.

It was the London Astoria 2 or LA2 until the fiddler took over, then it became Mean Fiddler when they bought it.
I was under the impression it remained the Mean Fiddler until it closed, but it does indeed appear to have reverted back while looking into it, I found a couple of photos online that show an Astoria 2 text on the front door with Scaffolding up when they re-pointed brickwork of the building, an odd decision given it was widely known that it would be knocked down! The front door of the venue was only used by punters, the crew always entered through the Astoria main foyer, we never really saw the front signage
it's not well documented, as I say it didn't make much difference to the crew!

It was a bit of weird time for London when lots of different venues were changing hands and Groups of venues were swallowed up by other groups etc. Even those of us working around London couldn't keep track of who owned what.
I guess without being able to pinpoint the dates, it doesn't make sense to mark the Astoria 2 “closed” between 2001 and 2006. my work there stopped for a while in 2003, so I wasn't really involved in the tail end of the buildings history.
I have always been interested in the development of the London Music scene, so I will shelve any changes until I can research it further, see if I can find anything definitive!

The original Mean Fiddler was in Harlesden which closed in 2001, but then was resurrected at some point later as “The Old Fiddler”. The only connection was when the Mean Fiddler Organisation bought the Astoria they decided to rename LA2. as it was considered at the time a prime London Soho location and The Astoria became their flagship venue.

Thanks for your help, I thought I was going mad trying to work out how it should be dealt with.

Posted 12 Jan 2021, 0:48:45

Another problem with venues that change their name but then revert to the original one is that the opening and closing venue dates can't exclude setlists being created during the time the venue used a different name. That info can only appear in the Venue Information section.

You're not allowed to do this, please sign in first.