Unreleased group compositions released by solo member

Unreleased group compositions released by solo member

Posted 16 Aug 2016, 9:53:17

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/marillion/1982/limit-club-sheffield-england-7bd41e14.html

I have removed the 'cover' reference to Institution Waltz being a Fish song. It was written and played by Marillion on many occasions in the early 80's, but not released by them. Fish recorded and released a version in 1995 ('Yin' album), but it was credited as a co-written Marillion song. This does not appear to be covered in the guidelines about unreleased co-writes as a group, subsequently released by a single member – if it is I couldn't find it. Perhaps the guidance could be amended? I leave it to the moderators to determine whether this should be further corrected back and credited as a Fish cover or not.

Last edited 16 Aug 2016, 9:55:24

Re: Unreleased group compositions released by solo member

Posted 22 Aug 2016, 7:23:54

Sorry for the late reply. The existing guidelines actually can be applied to this case, but they're not as obvious as for other cases. To quote a moderator:

The song, “Institution Waltz” was written while Fish was in one band, but they never recorded or released it. It appeared on a solo album. He has a writing credit for the song, so even if Marillion recorded/released it later it would still be considered a Fish song.

So the song should be credited to Fish on setlist.fm.

You're not allowed to do this, please sign in first.